- 5 ounces feta cheese, room temperature
- 5 ounces French-style semi-soft cheese (such as Port Salut), room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, etc.)
- 16 ounces cooked fettuccine, oiled and chilled
- 1/4 c. grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 4 large poached artichoke hearts (Canned may be substituted. Rinse and drain well.)
- 8 large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked
- 8 large tomato slices, about 1/4" thick
In a food processor, combine first three ingredients. Process until smooth. Fold in basil. Set aside at room temperature.
Combine the egg yolks, cream and mixed herbs. Set aside. Toss fettuccine, Romano cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture until all the pasta is coated with crumbs and cheese. Immediately divide the pasta into four equal parts. On a hot griddle or in a saucepan, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Drop pasta in the middle of oil. Press pasta until it forms a cake about 1/4 inch thick. Cook until golden brown on both sides (about 2 minutes per side). Keep warm.
Slice artichoke hearts into thirds. Sauté, in an oiled hot skillet until just heated through. Keep warm. Sauté shrimp and crab meat until heated through. Slice shrimp in half lengthwise. Keep warm.
To serve, place pasta cakes on a broiler pan. Top each cake with two slices tomato. Divide artichokes, shrimp and crab and top tomatoes. Liberally dot the top with the cheese-butter mixture. Broil until cheese mixture begins to melt. Garnish each cake with a sprig of fresh basil. Serve immediately.