- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves, steamed and chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 1 2/3 c. chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 c. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed, then mashed with fork
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c. fresh cilantro leaves
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 ounces chopped dried figs that have been soaking in hot water for 15 minutes, then drained
- 1/4 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
Put all ingredients for fritters (except oil) into bowl and thoroughly mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, place all ingredients for Tzatziki and a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate as well.
When ready to serve, pour oil to a depth of about 1 inch in large deep skillet. Heat oil over medium high heat. Drop in tablespoon-sized spoonfuls of fritter batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Drain fritters on stack of paper towels and serve warm with Tzatziki.