- 3 slices hickory smoked bacon, each slice cut in half
- 1/4 c. yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 (10) oz containers grape tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely snipped basil leaves
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 10-inch french baguette, sliced into 1/2- inch thick slices
In a 2-quart heavy bottom saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat just until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Remove all of bacon fat except 2 tablespoons and add onion and pepper to saucepan. Cook for 4-5 minutes until vegetables soften, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Crumble set aside bacon and stir in with other ingredients. Simmer an additional 15-20 minutes or until mixture is the consistency of jam, stirring often. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
To assemble, spread jam on bread slices, almost to edges. Sprinkle each with about 1 teaspoon crumbled feta cheese and a pinch of basil leaves. Arrange on a platter and serve. Serves 8-10.