- 1-1/2 lbs. red potatoes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 6 slices hardwood smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Heat to boiling over high heat; stir in 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook 18 to 24 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cooking time will vary based on size of potatoes; using slotted spoon, remove smaller potatoes from pot as they finish cooking and transfer to cutting board. Let cool slightly; then chop potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place in large bowl. Do not pour water out of pot.
When all potatoes are cooked and removed from pot, add green beans to boiling water. Cook 2 minutes or until beans are tender-crisp; use slotted spoon to transfer beans to bowl with potatoes.
Meanwhile, place bacon in cold medium skillet. Place over medium-high heat; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until bacon is crispy, stirring occasionally. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to bowl with potatoes. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet (pour off any excess).
Reduce heat to medium-low; add shallots to bacon drippings. Cook 1 minute or until shallots are tender, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in mustard and vinegar. Transfer mixture to bowl with potatoes.
Add red pepper, cheese, black pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to bowl. Gently toss until well combined. Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled. Makes about 6 cups salad.